|the Valentino royal palace, UNESCO heritage site and School of Architecture|
This Park dates back to the Middle Ages but it got the name of Valentino in the 17th century when the royal castle was built. One of the Savoy queens, Christine of France requested Carlo Di Castellamonte, the royal architect to build a royal summer residence that would remind her of the French palaces where she had grown up. The French architecture is still visible on the castle roof covered in slate.
After 1850, the Turin's population grew exponentially as well as the city, and this is when the city felt the need for a park: a public green area to take strolls and enjoy the free time. The best area was around the castle and the French architect Barillet-Deschamps redesigned the trails, the artificial hills, the trees areas, the horse trails and even a small pond where people could skate in the winter.
|line to see the Degas exhibit in 2013|
Even before completing the works, this park was the location of many national and international events such as the General Italian Expo in 1884 when the Medieval village was built. To these days, this is the highlight of the park: a whole village that includes a 15th century castle with a bridge and a tiny moat!
|inside the Medieval village|
Besides the Medieval village, there is also a Japanese garden and a great fountain: la fontana dei mesi or the months' fountains, built in 1898 and with statues that represent Turin's rivers surrounded by the seasons and the months.